Celebrating at our BBQ and AGM
June 22, 2012
What an action packed week!
We started off with the National Day of Action for refugee health care on Parliament Hill and ended with a fabulous community BBQ and AGM.
Thanks to all those who helped make these events great successes. We had amazing turn-out of over 350 people for such hot summer days!
Elections to our Board of Directors were held on June 21, with 12 amazing candidates running. Congratulations to our newly elected 2012-2012 Board:
- Jeff Morrison, Chair – (re-elected board member)
- Alex Roussakis, Vice-Chair
- Holly Wagg, Treasurer
- Cathy Doolan, Secretary (and Co-chair Advocacy and Communications Action Team)
- Adam Awad, (Chair Board Development Action Team
- Josephine Etowa
- Tong Zhao-Ansari (Co-chair Advocacy and Communications Action Team) – (re-elected board member)
- Joan Bueckert, staff representative
And new board members:
- Tracey Donaldson
- Isabelle Lamontagne
- Wynn Quon
- Hughes St-Pierre
- Linda Wilson
- Sarah Brown, staff representative
A very special thank you goes out to Marita Killen, our outgoing Board Chair. Over the past 6 years, she worked tirelessly towards achieving healthier people and communities. Thanks for everything, Marita!
“If you’re a refugee, our doctors, nurses, social workers and all other health workers on our team have your back” said Simone Thibault, our Executive Director, during our AGM. “We showed that this week during the National Day of Action on Parliament Hill.” Our team at Centretown CHC will keep advocating for our country’s most vulnerable. Here are a few articles and videos with Alison Eyre, CCHC Physian and Mado Mushimiyaman, Registered Nurse, speaking up for refugee health:
Refugee health: Healthcare workers to protest cuts (video)
Doctors protest 'disastrous' cuts to refugee health
Protesters target planned cuts to refugee health care