Protection of your personal health information and your records
The collection of personal client information is fundamental to providing quality heath and social services offered at the Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC). CCHC has always understood the importance of confidentiality and we are now taking additional steps to ensure the privacy and protection of your information.
For your protection we have:
- Appointed a Privacy Officer to answer your inquiries or concerns.
- Set up safeguards in the handling of paper, electronic and verbal personal information.
Accessing your information
If you wish to access your file, contact your health provider who will help you with the process. We will respond to your request within 30 days, or 60 days if the search is complex.
If you need a copy of your file, please let your health provider know in advance, as it may take two weeks or so to prepare. The Privacy Officer can also assist you in these procedures.
CCHC is committed to the protection of your personal information. This information is given to us in trust and will remain confidential.
- All CCHC staff and volunteers are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of your information.
- When your health provider collects information from you, it will only be what is needed to enhance your care. You are not required to provide any information beyond what is required to fulfill the reason for your visit.
- The CCHC health providers work in teams to provide you with comprehensive care and services. Information for your best care may be shared among those directly involved in your care. We will not share information about you with others outside the Centre without your permission, except under special circumstances (see Limits of Confidentiality).
- The information in your file belongs to you; the physical chart belongs to CCHC. You are welcome to read or have a copy of any part of your file (see Accessing Your Information).
- CCHC will be responsive to any questions and feedback you may have regarding the protection of your privacy at the Centre.
Limits of confidentiality
CCHC may report information to third parties, without consent:
- If we believe that you are a danger to yourself or others.
- If we suspect that a child under the age of 16 is at risk.
- If your records are subpoenaed by the courts.
- If you are considered by law to be unable to make informed decisions for yourself.
- In cases of a reportable communicable disease that must be reported to a Public Health Agency.
- To determine or verify your eligibility to receive health care benefits.
- In cases of required reporting to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
Concerns or feedback?
Formal complaints can be made to CCHC Privacy Officer. Our Privacy Officer will acknowledge receipt of your complaint, ensure that it is investigated promptly and that you are provided with formal written decision with reasons.
- Phone: 613-233-4443
- Fax: 613-233-3987
- TTY: 613-233-0651
- Email: email@example.com
You can also contact the Information and Privacy Commission of Ontario at:
- Phone: 416-326-3333
- Fax: 416-325-9195
- Toll free: 1-800-387-0073