Status: Contract Position of 12 Months – 5 days/week (1.0FTE)
Pay Scale: $34.114/hour to $41.101/hour
Pension and Benefits: Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) / including some benefits.
Start Date: May 2020
Working with the CDEPO team, the Diabetes Educator (Nurse or Dietitian) is responsible for the delivery and promotion of the Community Diabetes Education Program of Ottawa in the City of Ottawa. Using a self-management approach, the Diabetes Educator provides group and individual education to adults with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, starts them on insulin and assists them with titration. The Diabetes Educator works collaboratively with CHC and community physicians and endocrinologists especially around insulin initiation and management. In addition, the Diabetes Educator collaborates with other CCHC teams where appropriate and refers internally and externally as needed.
- Bachelor degree Nursing or Nutrition Science or equivalent.
- Possession of, or eligibility for, registration with College of Nurses of Ontario or the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Minimum two years’ experience in diabetes education and management.
- Experience in group facilitation and knowledge of adult education methods.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Windows-based computer systems, in particular, basic email and MS Word.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a multi disciplinary team.
- Experience and sensitivity to the needs of diverse populations.
- Experience working in a community setting including outreach activities.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator.
- Experience with insulin initiation and management.
- Membership in Diabetes Educator Section of the Canadian Diabetes Association.
- Ability to communicate in a third language (Preference for: Arabic, Somali, Spanish)
Language designation : English, written and spoken French, written and spoken
How to “express an interest” for this opportunity: Submit your letter of interest along with your résumé on or before February 28, 2020 by 11:59pm to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following:
- The subject line of your email should read “Bilingual, Diabetes Educator”
- The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)(first name) Resume”
- The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name)(first name) Cover Letter”
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should contact us at email@example.com so arrangements can be made. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce and as such all applicants are welcome.