Team: March 1st –Ongoing
Day (s) of week: First and Third Wednesday of the Month
Hours of Work: 4pm to 6pm
The Ottawa Good Food Box is a project partner of the Ottawa Coalition of Community Health and Resources Centre’s. It is a non-profit community-based initiative bringing neighbours together to buy a variety of nutritious fresh fruits and vegetables at wholesale prices. The goal of the program
is to provide the community accessible options to purchase fresh affordable food that is in season and where possible locally- sourced. There are several participating Good Food Box sites within the Ottawa region that communities can access. The Good Food Box products for purchase range from fruit bags to boxes created for different family sizes. The role of the Good Food Box Site Coordinator is to pre-register customer orders, place the orders with the Good Food Box Project Officer, and assist customers picking up their Good Food Box order.
This position is based at the Centretown Community Health Centre, 420 Cooper Street and training is provided.
Good Food Box Project Officer, Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre. Supported by the Community Health Worker Health Promotion and Volunteer Engagement at Centretown Community Health Centre.
- Create a welcoming environment
- Works with a team of volunteers to sort individual orders
- Assists with set-up and clean-up of the Good food Box order and delivery evenings
- Assist with verifying orders
- Handle and track money for new orders
- Verify produce quality
- Manage customer concerns
- Communicate customer and product concerns with the Project Officer by phone and or email.
- Promotion of the Good Food Box service and provide program updates to clients.
- Customer service skills –comfortable working with diverse populations.
- Reliable and able to commit 2 to 4 hours in the evenings per month- usually 4-6pm
- Comfortable working as part of a team of volunteers and with the public.
- Ability to do basic math and record keeping.
- General interest in food, health and community is an asset.
- English (read, written and spoken).
- Ability to speak French and other languages Arabic, Somalia, Chinese is an asset when working with the Centretown community.
This role may involve lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling food bags or boxes ranging from 2.5 KG (5 lbs) – 7 KG (15 Lbs); squatting; and or standing or sitting for long periods. Our centre is accessible. Please contact us if you have accommodation questions.